Redefining Transparency in the Healthcare Industry
Subscribe to the Podcast
Risk is too-often considered a dirty word in healthcare sectors. Transparency in healthcare industries is sadly uncommon. For this episode of Renegade Thinkers Unite, Drew interviews a courageous thinker in healthcare that’s changing the way people think about risk-taking in healthcare, CMO of HealthSparq Burt Rosen.
Burt’s background in hospitality and education allowed him to see the massive gap in the healthcare industry – it’s wasn’t actually about helping and connecting people. By turning his company upside down and digging into the true goal of HealthSparq, Burt has launched a movement that strives to make healthcare less confusing and more transparent.
This interview will restore your faith in the healthcare system. Learn how an insatiable level of curiosity can make you successful in any industry, as well as how to know when your brand positioning has struck gold. Finally, hear the background story behind Burt’s “What’s the Fix?” conference.
Burt and Drew tackle big issues on this episode and help you unravel the transparency in healthcare issues. Be sure to give it your full attention. Click here to listen now!
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts – Stitcher – or Podsearch
Redefining HealthSparq’s brand story in order to identify their true niche
Burt learned about the importance of connecting with people and caring for them during his careers in education and hospitality. When he joined the HealthSparq team he recognized the need for a massive redefinition of the brand. Rather than talk about the specifics of the tools the company offers, Burt wanted to talk about the impact the tools has on the actual human using them. That’s why HealthSparq’s tagline is now “Helping people make smarter healthcare choices.” No matter how powerful research tools or cost calculators may be, if they’re not helping people feel more comfortable and confident in their own decisions, the tool is not serving the greater brand purpose. Burt’s understanding of person-first business is unparalleled and you’ll enjoy hearing him passionately talk about this idea on this episode.
Transparency in healthcare is key because it’s so personal to people and their families
HealthSparq’s marketing team realized that healthcare should not be impersonal. Everyone has a healthcare story – they should be positive and comforting tales, not riddled with confusion and frustration. Burt believes that the professionals in the industry should be framing every decision in regards to the customer and patient. This underlying belief drives everything HealthSparq creates. HealthSparq knows that people of every age and from every walk of life want the same things. They want to be taken care of, they want good service, and they want transparency. Changing a decades-old industry is not for the faint of heart and to hear how Burt is conquering this task be sure to listen to this episode of Renegade Thinkers Unite.
How a simple focus group idea turned the healthcare industry upside down
In every other industry, focus groups and panel questioning is commonplace. In the healthcare sector? Not so much. An idea for a public focus group left long-standing industry professionals baffled. When the first few HealthSparq-sponsored panels drew in massive amounts of feedback and stories it sent shockwaves through the industry. These panels soon morphed into Burt’s passion project, the “What’s the Fix?” conference. This conference, with the second one being held in May 2018, strives to connect actual people to industry leaders. Making people smarter about healthcare and the decisions they make for their families is always a move in the right direction. Burt’s excitement about the conference is contagious and this episode is sure to leave you inspired.
What You’ll Learn
- [0:30] Drew’s introduction of Burt Rosen, CMO of HealthSparq, and why risk shouldn’t be a dirty word in healthcare
- [1:40] Why Burt embraces risk in healthcare and what attracted him to the industry
- [4:08] You can learn the skills necessary for any industry if you understand marketing and have an insatiable curiosity
- [8:13] Identifying HealthSparq’s true niche through risk-taking rebranding
- [12:01] Uncovering what people really want out of healthcare through public focus groups
- [23:19] The importance of investing in face-to-face interactions with actual people
- [26:24] Storytelling at HealthSparq and why it’s so critical for Burt and his team
- [30:01] How a low-budget conference became a massive movement in the healthcare industry
- [34:10] Everything starts with the positioning of the brand
- [37:38] Burt shares what’s next for HealthSparq and the What’s the Fix? conference
Connect With Burt:
- Burt’s page on the HealthSparq website
- Connect with Burt on LinkedIn
- Follow Burt on Twitter
- Follow Burt on Facebook
Resources & People Mentioned
- Drew’s presentation “The 7 Reasons Why (Most) Brands Fail at Storytelling”
- Ep. 54 Story-Driven Content Marketing That Drives Leads
- HealthSparq’s blog on the 2018 #WhatsTheFix conference
- What’s the Fix? conference website
Connect with Drew