Top Marketing Trends for 2018 and the Power of PR
For the 60th episode of Renegade Thinkers Unite, Drew Neisser interviews Peter Shankman – author, serial entrepreneur, and a world-renowned speaker on social economics. He is a top-tier expert on customer service, social media, public relations, and advertising – all while spreading the idea that incredible things can happen when creativity, determination, and ADHD meet.
Drew asks him about best advice for entrepreneurs and how to work in your zone of focus on this engaging and entertaining episode. You’ll discover Peter’s ritual suggestions and what’s on the horizon for marketers in 2018.
You don’t want to miss Peter’s insights into the top marketing mistakes to avoid. He also uncovers why social media relates so strongly to marketing and the foundational beliefs behind storytelling and public relations.
Drew and Peter’s conversation will leave you wanting more, so be sure to listen (click here to listen now).
What You’ll Learn
- [0:50] Drew introduces the guest for the 60th Renegade Thinkers Unite episode, Peter Shankman
- [4:00] How Peter was able to write a book in 31 hours after finding his zone of focus
- [6:24] Ritual suggestions for marketers in 2018
- [12:00] New ideas on the horizon for marketers
- [13:00] The importance of public relations in B2B marketing
- [15:14] Public relations and marketing mistakes to avoid in the new year
- [19:00] How do we measure public relations?
- [22:28] Social media and how it relates to marketing
- [25:18] Why Twitter is becoming less valuable in a B2B marketing situation
- [28:35] Best use of social media as a brand within the marketing mix
- [30:14] Rapid fire questions with Peter Shankman
Why finding and working in your zone of focus is critical for ultimate success
When Peter had two weeks to finish (and start) a book he had committed to writing, he did what works best for his brain. He booked a roundtrip flight to Tokyo and wrote all ten chapters of the book over 31 hours. While this type of work schedule may not be ideal for everyone, Drew and Peter discuss the importance of finding what works for you and focusing solely on tactics within that zone. As conversations about resolutions become increasingly more abundant, Peter counters that line of thinking by explaining that “resolutions fail, but rituals succeed.” To learn more about Peter’s story and to learn from his successes don’t miss this stellar episode of Renegade Thinkers Unite.
The top marketing trends to look for in 2018
2018 is sure to be a cornerstone year for individuals and businesses alike. Peter talks with Drew about why listening is of utmost importance in the marketing realm, but why it has to go beyond listening for a break in conversation so you can share your thoughts. They also discuss why conversations across the world are moving away from distrust and into an age of wanting to believe in the truth again. Understanding hot topic ideas such as blockchain, cryptocurrency, and why Twitter’s heyday may be ending are all covered on this episode, so be sure to take the time to listen.
Public relations in B2B marketing and why having an audience is a privilege – not a right
As B2B marketers it’s key to understand how public relations relates to your company. Public relations helps people to believe the information they’re consuming, which is key for audience engagement. The audience your company targets deserves high-quality content delivered on a timely basis, and Peter explains that companies should never take their audiences for granted. Connecting what you have to what the industry needs, and conveying it in a thoughtful, concise manner, is a key PR strategy in B2B marketing. You can’t afford to miss the rest of Peter’s insights that will help you start off 2018 with a burst of productivity, so don’t miss this episode of Renegade Thinkers Unite.
Connect With Peter Shankman:
- Peter’s personal website
- Peter’s ShankMinds: Breakthrough website
- Connect with Peter on LinkedIn
- Follow Peter on Twitter
- Follow Peter on Facebook
Resources & People Mentioned
- Peter’s founding company, Help A Reporter Out
- Peter’s books on Amazon
- Drew’s 2013 interview with Peter, “Nice Companies Finish First”