108: How Aetna’s Brand Transformation Teaches a Lesson in Storytelling Marketing
A company’s brand transformation process should never be taken lightly, especially for a health insurance company that serves the lives of thousands of people across the country. When David Edelman joined Aetna’s team as the CMO two years ago, he knew that a change was needed to reimagine the public perception of health insurance companies. On this episode of Renegade Thinkers Unite, you’ll learn how he and his team successfully transformed the Aetna brand into one that puts the joy and wellness of its clients first and foremost.
David shares why a rebranding transformation is not just a marketing thing — it must be an organization-wide effort that translates to tangible changes for customers. Drew and David also dive into how the Aetna marketing team achieved internal company buy-in, and how acting courageously in their market led to a completely reinvented brand rooted in sincere storytelling.
Get inspired to let storytelling drive your next marketing move.
What You’ll Learn
David’s first challenge was figuring out the space in which Aetna could relate with clients
When asked about the healthcare industry, most people will associate the market with negative words and emotions. Overcoming this negative association was David’s first challenge as Aetna’s new CMO. He realized that Aetna had to become so much more than a health insurance company. He tells Drew that they needed to become “a partner in our clients’ lives,” while telling each client, “We’re joining you! You lead, we’ll follow.” By opening up this line of honest communication with their clients, Aetna has been able to enter into new spaces of health, wellness, and preventative medicine.
Achieving internal buy-in was critical to the success of Aetna’s brand transformation
Before Aetna could help their clients reach their wellness goals, David and his team first had to achieve internal buy-in. Previously, each of Aetna’s departments had their own “feel” and culture. They combated this lack of unity by sharing the new brand promise, explaining priority initiatives, and continually asking for employee feedback and insights. They also used a variety of evaluation and measurement tools that allowed them to make the necessary course corrections throughout the brand transformation process. To hear the full story behind how all of this – and more – was achieved in just 6 months, be sure to listen.
Reorienting the B2B and B2C sales teams to sell with storytelling in mind
Drew and David talk at length in this episode about how Aetna successfully sells in both the B2B and B2C space. Not only does Aetna sell to individuals and families, but they also offer healthcare packages to small businesses and major corporations. David outlines a few major tools his marketing team was able to share with the sales team to make selling the new Aetna brand easier:
- Arm the sales team with great content
- Share the new customer experience
- Use storytelling techniques – don’t just share lists and data
- Focus on the idea of “One Aetna”
The reorienting process hasn’t been simple, but David and his team have handled it beautifully so far. For the full story, don’t miss this episode of Renegade Thinkers Unite.
- [0:28] David approached his marketing challenge at Aetna with courage
- [3:54] The first steps in rebranding the entire company
- [9:06] Taking action on the research David and his team collected
- [11:28] Overcoming pushback throughout the rebranding process
- [13:48] Engaging employees was critical in making the rebranding successful
- [21:00] The internal structure of the brand transformation at Aetna
- [26:05] Reorienting the B2B and B2C sales teams to sell with storytelling in mind
- [36:41] David’s final thoughts on brand transformation and lessons learned during his 2 years at Aetna
Connect With David:
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect with Drew
Quotes from David Edelman
to the Latest in
We create insight-rich content with our clients in mind:
- TheCut Newsletter: Monthly inspiration from our CEO
- Renegade Blog: Practical tips for B2B marketers twice a week
- Renegade Thinkers Unite podcast: Weekly CMO success stories